Your wedding day will be one of the most important days of your life. Surrounded by your friends and family, you and your partner will create your first memories as a married couple on this day. And as you know, a good choice of soundtrack can sometimes turn a run-of-the-mill event into an instant classic.
Some of the most important moments of your wedding reception will be set to carefully selected tunes. You will first have to pick a song for your first dance with your spouse. The bride will need to select another song to dance to with her father, while the groom will have to find a song for the traditional mother-son dance.
The next thing to do is to pick a perfect cake cutting song.
A Few Words About the Cake Cutting Ritual
The cake cutting ritual symbolizes the start of the newlyweds’ shared future, while the tasting of the first slice marks the promise of a happy life together.
After the cake makes its glamorous entrance onto the stage, the groom puts his right hand on top of the bride’s hand to cut the first slice of the cake together. The guests then cheer on the happy couple as they feed each other the first slice. After that, it is time to cut the rest of the cake and serve it to the guests.
This whole cutting and tasting ritual usually takes between three to four minutes. Since that is also the length of most popular songs, a well-chosen tune would make a great soundtrack for this special moment. It might also be a good idea to choose a few extra songs to play while the guests are eating the cake.
75 Great Cake Cutting Song Ideas
The great thing about cake cutting songs is that you can pick pretty much anything you want. There are no rules about the genre of the song. Pop, classic rock, hard rock, jazz, funk, soul, EDM – any song you choose is great. As long as the lyrics are romantic, flirty, and/or cake-related, it will surely work.
To help you find the best cake cutting songs for your wedding reception, here are 75 great tunes to choose from. For easier navigation, we have organized them into categories based on the lyrics, as well as their popularity.
Best Sugar-Themed Cake Cutting Songs
In trying to keep things fun and quirky, many couples decide to go with a literal theme. They thus choose a song that makes references to sugar, sweets, candy, or cakes. If you need help finding a great sugar-themed cake cutting song, one of our 35 picks may be just what you’re looking for.
- “Sugar, Sugar” by The Archies
- “Sugar” by Maroon 5
- “I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)” by The Four Tops
- “Sugar” by Stevie Wonder
- “I Want a Little Sugar in My Bowl” by Nina Simone
- “Pour Some Sugar on Me” by Def Leppard
- “The Sweetest Thing” by U2
- “How Sweet It Is (to Be Loved by You)” by Marvin Gaye
- “Sweet Love” by Commodores
- “Sweet Emotion” by Aerosmith
- “Sweets for My Sweet” by The Drifters
- “Sweet Life” by Paul Davis
- “Sweet, Sweet Smile” by Carpenters
- “The Sweetest Thing (I’ve Ever Known)” by Juice Newton
- “The Sweet Escape” by Gwen Stefani featuring Akon
- “Sweet Dreams” by La Bouche
- “How Sweet It Is” by Michael Bublé
- “Sweet Caroline” by Neil Diamond
- “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)” by Eurythmics
- “Sweet Pea” by Amos Lee
- “I Want Candy” by Bow Wow Wow
- “Candy Girl” by Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons
- “Candy” by Nat King Cole
- “Candy” by Lisa Stansfield
- “Candyman” by Christina Aguilera
- “Candy Lips” by Doris Day
- “Lollipop (Candyman)” by Aqua
- “Honey, Honey” by Abba
- “Honey” by Mariah Carey
- “Syrup and Honey” by Duffy
- “Honey Bee” by Blake Shelton
- “Build Me Up Buttercup” by The Foundations
- “Cake by the Ocean” by DNCE
- “Cut the Cake” by Average White Band
- “Cake” by Flo Rida featuring 99 Percent
Cake Cutting Songs with Fun and Playful Lyrics
Of course, you don’t have to go too literal with your song choices to make the cake cutting ritual more fun. There are plenty of great songs with fun and playful lyrics that would be a perfect choice for this special moment. There are also a few that are very popular even though their lyrics might be a bit inappropriate for the occasion. Here are our picks for the 10 best fun, playful, or so-wrong-they’re-right cake cutting songs.
- “Love and Marriage” by Frank Sinatra
- “That’s Amore!” by Dean Martin
- “Eat It” by ‘Weird Al’ Yankovic
- “Cups and Cakes” by Spinal Tap
- “Hit Me with Your Best Shot” by Pat Benatar
- “Yummy, Yummy, Yummy (I Got Love in My Tummy)” by Ohio Players
- “Hungry Heart” by Bruce Springsteen
- “Cuts Like a Knife” by Bryan Adams
- “The First Cut Is the Deepest” by Cat Stevens
- “Hot Knife” by Fiona Apple
Tried and True Cake Cutting Favorites
If you would rather play it safe than experiment with your cake cutting song choices, that is perfectly fine. There are plenty of evergreen tunes and modern classics that would make a perfect soundtrack for the cutting of the cake. Here are our top 30 picks.
- “Happy Together” by The Turtles
- “Marry Me” by Train
- “From This Moment On” by Shania Twain
- “By Your Side” by Sade
- “1, 2, 3, 4 (I Love You)” by Plain White T’s
- “L-O-V-E” by Nat King Cole
- “Ho Hey” by The Lumineers
- “Everything” by Michael Bublé
- “I’m Yours” by Jason Mraz
- “It Had to Be You” by Harry Connick, Jr.
- “Love on Top” by Beyoncé
- “Love Story” by Taylor Swift
- “All My Life” by K-Ci & JoJo
- “This Will Be (an Everlasting Love)” by Natalie Cole
- “Come and Get Your Love” by Redbone
- “Fantasy” by Mariah Carey
- “Could You Be Loved” by Bob Marley and the Wailers
- “I Got You Babe” by Sonny & Cher
- “Grow Old with You” by Adam Sandler
- “When I’m 64” by The Beatles
- “At Last” by Etta James
- “Marry You” by Bruno Mars
- “Little Moments” by Brad Paisley
- “Better Together” by Jack Johnson
- “Over the Rainbow” by Israel Kamakawiwo’ole
- “Stuck Like Glue” by Sugarland
- “Die a Happy Man” by Thomas Rhett
- “My Best Friend” by Tim McGraw
- “The Gift of Love” by Bette Midler
- “Chapel of Love” by The Dixie Cups
Did our list help you find the perfect cake cutting song for your wedding reception? Do you have a cake cutting favorite that isn’t on the list? Let us know in the comments section below!